Friday, April 20, 2007

About My Learning History....


I started learning ErHu at the age of 9 from Mr Chuan Joon Hee, ZhongHu Musician for Singapore Chinese Orchestra. In 1989, I joined Keat Hong Chinese Orchestra and started my learning from the orchestra conductor Mr Sim Boon Yew PBM. In 1991, I joined the National Music Competition – ErHu Junior Category and was awarded with the Merit Award. In 1995, I took part in the Chinese Instrumental Grading Examination jointly organized by Singapore Nanyang Academy Of Fine Arts and China Central Conservatory of Music, and was awarded with the Grade 8 Certifcation. In 1997, I served my National Service in the SAF Music and Drama Company. During my service, I was appointed concurrently as the Music IC, Sectional Principal and Concertmaster.

In 1999, under the financial assistance from the National Arts Council and Chua Chu Kang Community Club, I pursued a General Advanced Certification Course for ErHu Profession in Shanghai Conservatory of Music (China) for a period of one year, under the tutelage of renowned ErHu Educator, Profession Wang YongDe. I was also taught on the pedagogy of ErHu Teaching. During my stay in Shanghai, I was appointed the Orchestra Leader for the Foreign Students Traditional Ensemble, and was concurrently elected as a committee member for the Foreign Students Committee. I also learnt from renowned ErHu Maestro Mdm Min HuiFen. At the same time, I learnt Chinese Orchestral Conducting skills from distinguished conductor Mr Song GuangHai.

I am proficient in playing many types of HuQins, such as GaoHu, ZhongHu, BanHu, ZhuiHu, JingHu. In 2001, under the accompaniment of Chua Chu Kang C.C. Keat Hong Chinese Orchestra, I successfully performed a ZhongHu Concerto “A Tribute for Martyr Lim Bo Seng”. In 2004, during the Keat Hong Chinese Orchestra 30th Anniversary Celebration Concert, I also successfully performed the ErHu Duet Concerto “Yu, Ge, Lie”. All my performances were very well received.

In 2006, I took part in the Chinese Instrumental Examination organized by National University of Singapore Centre For The Arts, and was awarded the Diploma In Erhu with Distinction. Currently, I am the ErHu Trainer for NUS Centre For The Arts, String Instructor for Keat Hong Chinese Orchestra and various secondary and primary schools.


No comments: